Friday, February 26, 2010

TRAINING TO WIN - PART 1


1 Corinthians 9:24-17
  24 Don't you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! 25 All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. 26 So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. 27 I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.

Maurice Greene (former world record holder in 100m and gold medalist) once said in a interview, "In order to be number 1, you have to train like you are number 2."  

That quote stuck with me throughout my entire collegiate career as a track and field athlete.  I remember telling myself that quote over and over.  Maurice had a great concept.  Rather than training that you are number 1 and that your mission is complete, he trained like he wasn't the best, striving everyday in his physical training to improve to number 1.  In order to run to win we must train to win.

Now for a minute look not at our physical training but our spiritual training.  As Paul says, these athletes train for a prize that will "fade away", but "we do it for an eternal prize".  So what are we doing in our lives that are training us for our eternal prize?

STOP TRYING AND START TRAINING

Brad Cooper, Student Pastor at Newspring Community Church, said it best this way:  "The difference between training and trying is traction."  Basically, some of us show up to church and we truly want to connect with God during the service, but the problem is God has called us to connect with him during the week and not just at church services.  There is no daily spiritual training present in your life.

This is just part 1 of these blog series.  In the upcoming blogs we will talk more specifically how we can train to win.

1 comments:

Thanks BT, you are absolutely right! If I'm eating junk food all all week and only hitting the gym on weekends I am going to be the one to tap out that ring, the one on my knees heaving my guts in the final stretch, or the one who tears a calf muscle simply playing laser tag because I neglect to stretch and work out. Our spiritual diet and workout works the same way.

~Tom Heyob

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More