Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Urgent Message

ACTS 20:22-28

22 “But there is another urgency before me now. I feel compelled to go to Jerusalem. I’m completely in the dark about what will happen when I get there.23 I do know that it won’t be any picnic, for the Holy Spirit has let me know repeatedly and clearly that there are hard times and imprisonment ahead.24 But that matters little. What matters most to me is to finish what God started: the job the Master Jesus gave me of letting everyone I meet know all about this incredibly extravagant generosity of God.25 “And so this is good-bye. You’re not going to see me again, nor I you, you whom I have gone among for so long proclaiming the news of God’s inaugurated kingdom.26 I’ve done my best for you, given you my all,27 held back nothing of God’s will for you.28 “Now it’s up to you. Be on your toes—both for yourselves and your congregation of sheep. The Holy Spirit has put you in charge of these people—God’s people they are—to guard and protect them. God himself thought they were worth dying for.

Now if you accepted the challenge from my previous blog, then you should have answered the "who".... "who is it that God wants me to share His good news with?"  But this post is about the "WHY"?  Why should you share the gospel and invite your friends to church?

1.  Because its URGENT.

Check out verses 22 again.  22 “But there is another urgency before me now. I feel compelled to go to Jerusalem." Paul had a sense of urgency, he had an urgent message that needed to be shared.  Let me give you an stupid example from my life.  My wife, Brittney, will ask me, "Have you paid the water bill yet?  Why don't you go ahead and pay it now?"  And I don't get the sense of urgency and continue playing video games and tell her I'll pay it when I'm finished playing.  But guess what happens?  I forget and in the mail we get a second bill with two months payment plus a late fee.  What happens when you don't get this sense of urgency is you put things off.   We should never put off telling someone about Jesus and the eternal life that He offers.

2.  Because its OUR JOB.

Read verse 24 again: “But that matters little. What matters most to me is to finish what God started: the job the Master Jesus gave me of letting everyone I meet know all about this incredibly extravagant generosity of God.”

Its our job.  It is what Jesus commanded us in the Great Commission, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations..." (Matt. 28:19).   I remember growing up with my sisters and always pushing off responsibilities on them.  My mom would ask me to take out the trash so what did I do.... find one of my sisters and say "hey, did mom talk to you yet?  She told me to find you and have you take out the trash."  (yeah... pretty bad).  I'm reminded of Moses in Exodus 3 where he is called by God to deliver His message but due to Moses' insecurities, he pushes them off onto his brother Aaron at first.  God created you therefore He knows what you are capable of... God isn't going to call you to do something and if He didn't know you were capable.  So stop relying on other people to tell your friends about Jesus.  Why?  Because its your job.

3.  Because GOD HIMSELF thought they were worth DYING for.

This is pulled straight out of verse 28:  "God Himself thought they were worth dying for."  Why does God want us to tell other about this "this incredibly extravagant generosity of God".... BECAUSE GOD HIMSELF THOUGHT THEY WERE WORTH DYING FOR!  This isn't some profound scripture that needs explanation... its that simple.  We are to tell everyone since Jesus suffered and died for the sins of everyone.

Remember that friendship challenge from the beginning of the school year?  You were to be praying for five of your friends that you knew didn't weren't christians and tell them about God.  Now let's be honest... how well have you done with this challenge?  How many of them have you actually told about God and shared your testimony with?  How many have you invited to church?

CHALLENGE:  STOP PUTTING IT OFF.  Tell them today.  Invite them to church this week.  You have an urgent message and its your job to share it.. why?  BECAUSE GOD HIMSELF THOUGHT THEY WERE WORTH DYING FOR.

1 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More